1.28.2010

Geriatric Frenzy!!!

Photobucket

So im at home with my mom like every other day and i offered to go grocery shopping for her at Costco to get some things that she needed. I went to the one on sossaman and the 60 at around noon, and i do not know what the heck i was thinking SERIOUSLY!! I pulled into a PACKED parking lot and was so confused wondering why in the middle of the day on a thursday it was sooo busy, i was so curious until i walked in. I was overwhelmed and suddenly had a wave of anxiety by the crowd of senior citizens. Let me back up really quick, ive always been uneasy and would almost go as far as to say have had a case of Gerontophobia (fear of old people). When i was younger i went on a class field trip to a nursing home where i was assigned to a certain older lady who kept telling me she was my grandma and that she gave me the earrings that i was wearing (as she kept trying to hug me and touch my ears and hair). Never really having a grandma you can see how this could be pretty frightening for a little girl. Well to this day my feelings towards senior citizens have always been uneasy. So here i am just walked into costco shoulder to shoulder with all these old men and woman and i was fine but as my shopping trip went on my emotions changed from uneasiness/fear to annoyance/impatience. It was HORRIBLE, THEY were horrible! I cant even tell you how many times i got cut off by electric shopping carts and regular ones and given dirty looks, and been "hummmpff'd" at. I think besides the box boys working there i was the only one under 50. I cant believe how bold these old folks were, i was amazed! It was more packed than it was on christmas eve, the line was back by the books (for those of you who shop at costco, you know what im talking about!) so i get in line and two people knocked my cart out of the way and were all pissed off at me like i had cut them when in fact they were cutting me in line! Lucky for them i am completely non confrontational and just let it go. All i know is that i will NEEEVVEEERRR shop at the sossaman costco again unless its after 4 or 5 pm when the oldies are snug in bed!

5 comments:

  1. SOOOOO Funny- you must have just missed me girl:) I was there too and its always that way- freakin LEISURE WORLD is right there!!!!!!!!!!!! I was in the TV section( they avoid that area) then I escaped but I feel your pain!!!! I would say I cant believe I didnt see you but I can... It was PACKED!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha. i think that everytime i go to costco. and the thing that i dont get is why does an old person need to buy in bulk anyway and then they only buy like one thing. so annoying.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have gone to that one a few times and can't stand it for exactly that reason. It really is always packed with elderly people. San Tan Costco is my best friend! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was headed over to the electronics to look at their video cams but i couldnt get through the crowd we must have just missed eachother, ifelt like i was there for hours! And i usually go in the evening so its not bad at all, and beth we go to santan one a lot but last time i was there they didnt have the sobe life waters that i wanted haha so we usually go to sossaman bc Leisure World isnt usually on a field trip! And youre right they shouldnt be buying in bulk, its just for them and their spouse usually! Maybe they do what my granddad did and freeze everything hahaha love him

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey baby girl!! Your son is so cute...like seriously he needs to win a beautiful baby contest!! I am going to be doing the cleanings during conference!! Let me know when you will be in town and I can get you in!! Love you

    ReplyDelete